Friday, December 02, 2011

STEVEN KARL USED SOME VERY KIND AND THOUGHTFUL WORDS TO INTRODUCE ME


On Friday, November 18, I read for the great Stain of Poetry Reading Series at Goodbye Blue Monday in Bushwick, Brooklyn. (Bathroom wall's a chaotic collage of amazing things to photograph). Well-known poets Heather Christle, Jennifer Tamayo, Karen Weiser and Jared White also read. And were incredible. Learned so much that night.

Before I read, Steven Karl introduced me. But he didn't just read my bio. He introduced me-introduced me. Here's what he said:
"Upjump the jam boogie bootleg! How else to introduce Paul Siegell? Emily Kendal Frey (last month's reader) recently updated her status by saying, "FACT: All writers secretly want to be musicians." Whether this is a "fact" or not is arguable, but one needs look no further than Siegell to assert the correlation. However, he does more than just pen poems for the Phish faithful--He gets inside the music, extracts the energy and creates his own brand of melody, jazzing across the page and riffing away in assonance and we, in turn, are moved from passive spectator to music maker."
Done dropped my jaw. Can't thank you enough, Steven!

No comments:

Post a Comment